Lake Russell Recreation Area

Situated along the peaceful shore of the 100-acre Lake Russell, this developed recreation area offers 42 campsites that accommodate both tent and RV camping and a picnic shelter with seating for 30 is available on a first come first serve basis. Hiking trails are available year-round and a 4.6 mile loop goes around the shore of this beautiful 100-acre lake. The Ladyslipper Trail is a nice 6.2 mile hike that loops through the forest behind Nancytown Lake. The Sourwood Trail is a 2.7 mile loop trail which features “Nancytown Waterfalls” at the 1.5 mile mark. The Facility has a large grass-covered beach, swimming area, two paved campground loop roads for easy access, plus camping, swimming, picnicking, hiking, biking, fishing, horseback riding, and boating (non-motorized/electric watercraft only), this ideal getaway is sure to become an outdoor destination for the entire family! From Cornelia, take Hwy. 13 or Dicks Hill Parkway onto the paved Lake Russell Road, where you will see the entrance. Nearby Cornelia, GA sites include: The Chenocetah Fire Tower is the last rock-constructed, working fire lookout tower in the east. Built by the WPA (Works Progress Administration) in 1936 for the Chattahoochee National Forest, the stone tower is 40 feet high and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The tower is open to visitors one day a year during the “Big Red Apple Festival.” The city of Cornelia provides hayrides to the tower during daylight hours. Guests may climb to the top for the tower for a spectacular panoramic view of horizons. Downtown Cornelia Train Depot as the original terminal was damaged in a fire, and rebuilt in 1914 to it’s current appearance. Inside the terminal is a museum of early railroad memorabilia, model of the Tallulah Falls train, and two restored cabooses by the depot. The “Big Red Apple,” stands near the train depot as a monument that is seven feet tall, 22 ft. in circumference and weighs 5200 lbs. It was shipped from Virginia in 1926 to celebrate the apple industry. The Community House on Wyly Street is a handsome stone & log structure built by the CCC in 1936 and listed on the National Register. Hilliard Wilbanks memorial and the adjoining park that features picnic areas, playground equipment and walking trails. Loudermilk Boarding House on Foreacre St. Built in 1908 and listed on The National Register of Historic Places features Joni Mabe’s Panoramic Encyclopedia of Everything Elvis Habersham County Historical Society and Telephone Museum is on North Main Street. The building houses an extensive collection of telephone equipment, area information, historical maps, and a telephone receiver that was patented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876. Stroll through downtown Cornelia with shops and restaurants that uphold the small town atmosphere that takes pride in the community by preserving history and natural resources. For more information on Habersham County, visit