Demorest was founded in 1889 as a private endeavor of the Demorest Home, Mining & Improvement Company.
It is named for William Jennings Demorest, an internationally known alcohol prohibition leader. A church bell honors his name and lifetime achievements. The city became a public entity in 1917. Demographic information confirms a population of about 2000, the city’s water system serving 60% of Habersham County residents and businesses, and elevation is 1345′ above sea level.
Proudly, Demorest is home to Georgia’s longest running Fourth of July festival and parade, the historic Demorest Springs Park, Piedmont College, the Johnny Mize Athletic Center and Museum, the Mason-Scharfenstein Museum of Art, Habersham Medical Center, the Demorest Woman’s Club, the Arrendale Amphitheatre, the Swanson Center for the Performing Arts and a congenial, collegiate citizenry.